Saturday, May 26, 2007Equine Veterans Part 2 - OLD BALDY
Old Baldy was Union General George C. Meade's horse. He was purchased in 1861 and was named so because of the horse's bald white face. Meade became quite devoted to him and rode him in all of his battles through 1862 and the spring of 1863. Baldy was wounded at least five times during the Civil War. Only once did he refuse Meade, when he was hit in the stomach by a bullet. In 1864 Baldy was injured by a shell in the Siege of Petersburg, he was retired to Meadow Bank Farm near Philadelphia and was only used one last time for military duty in Meade's funeral in 1872. In 1882 the horse was euthanasia, his head was taken to a taxidermist and mounted on a special plaque and is still today on display in a glass case in the Meade Room of the Civil War Library in Philadelphia.